Monday, December 10, 2007

On the Seventh Day She Ate a Lot of Pastries

This weekend my friend BB and I flew down to Seattle for the Annual Company Party. The bash has been held at various venues over the years, and this year, it was a place called The Palace Ballroom, a facility under the direction of chef Tom Douglas (a big whig in Seattle but utterly unknown to the likes of me).

Before the party, some locals had clued us into the crab cake. Apparently Tom's crab cakes were to die for and should be horded. BB and I arrived at the party, in search of the infamous crab cakes.

If there had been any doubt whether the Company had been having a rough year fiscally, the food at the Annual Party pretty much confirmed the state of the union. Although the party began at 6pm, there was no "sit-down" dinner, only appetizer stations with very tiny tiny plates. There was not enough real sitting for everyone attending, so one was forced to consume appetizers standing at high tables or worse, while balancing a drink.

But there was still an open bar, of course. You know things are really bad if the open bar is missing from The Company Holiday Party!

My opinion of the food aside, this year's bash was a decent affair. The venue was nicely decorated and inviting and there was also a respectably sized dance floor. Before the party really got rolling, I told BB that every year, it is the staff, not the attorneys, who monopolize the dance floor. Unlike the attorneys, who, for the most part, seem to prefer toting around cocktails, the staff really likes to cut loose on the floor.

At some point in the evening, it was clear that I had eaten enough food that it was only proper that I try to work it off. I descended upon the dance floor for what I thought would be a dance or two for the evening. But after two glasses of Cabernet and two glasses of whiskey, something happened. And thank goodness I wasn't sitting on the couch.

What happened was the Groove Came and Finally Set Me Free.

Coincidentally, I had spent the past week dutifully dancing every morning in my basement in Anchorage - all five days of the week, perhaps breaking my record. It was as if somewhere deep inside I knew that I needed to stay in motion and be ready for whatever might be out there. And sure enough, on the Sixth Day, an odd intersection of circumstances - the need to burn off the overconsumption of crab cakes, a little bit of alcohol, and a willing partner - made for the best three and a half hour block of dancing in my life.

There's something nice about being from a tiny satellite office and thus enjoying a certain degree of anonymity. My presence at the party was so unexplained that the bartender actually carded me, as if I had stumbled in off the street to crash the Annual Company Party. In similar manner, my presence on the dance floor was not questioned. Or at least no one directly questioned me.

The DJs played many of the same songs you hear at every company holiday party, but for whatever reason, I danced to many of them as if hearing them for the first time. My limbs seemed unhinged at the joints, and apparently no move was too daring to try. At some point in the evening, the only people left on the dance floor were BB and I. He took that moment to lean over and whisper,

"Madwoman, you're staff."

There was no escaping the truth. But I had long passed the point of no return. I felt free as a happy bird, an unusual feeling to have at The Annual Company Party.

Or maybe not.

The next morning, I had a few flashbacks to dancing at the party, and each caused me to hold my forehead. I recalled specifically that sometime in the last hour, I may have danced an entire song standing on one foot. Remarkably, notwithstanding the four drinks in my system, the high heels, and the severe dehydration going on, I did not stumble once at The Company Party.

On the Seventh Day, we rested amd did not dance. Instead, we hit the city to do some last-minute site-seeing before our flight. BB and I took a quick walk through Pike Market to scout a good place for breakfast for our group, which turned out to be an adventure in it of itself. (He and I ended up making two visits to the bakery within twenty minutes, and split seven pastries as part of an ill-advised Eat-To-The-Death Contest.)

We ended the day at the Experience Music Project (EMP) and Science Fiction Museum. There was a great interactive exhibit at the EMP which was a series of stations with instruments and programs teaching you how to play them. I learned the Root 6 power chords to Smells Like Teen Spirit and jammed with the computer. BB learned to play Louie Louie on the bass and also how to do reggae drumbeats. Like a couple of kids, we ran into the soundproof practice rooms to work on our "vocals" (when we left the room, BB said, "I'm really glad nobody heard that) and also to play with effects pedals and mixing boards in the Guitar Room. We tried our hand at DJing - mixing beats (giving me newfound apprecation for the DJ "bozos from the night before") and even scratching (but unfortunately the scratching part of the exhibit was broken).

After a couple of hours of banging on instruments, we headed to the adjoining Science Fiction Museum. I was disappointed that there was not even a single automated door - not even the normal kind you'd find at the airport! Everybody knows that any proper Science Fiction Museum needs at least one super cool self-opening door. The Science Fiction Museum was not interactive at all and at times, a bit boring, except that the first thing I saw upon entering was a set of tunics - a goldish green one worn by James T. Kirk (William Shatner) and a blue one worn by Mr. Spock himself (Leonard Nimoy)! I ran up to the glass and clasped my hands like a little kid. BB was less impressed.

Other highlights included a fine collection of science fiction weapons and armor, including a Klingon bat'leth, various disruptors and phasers. Like a true Trekker nerd, I laughed at the unwieldy size of the tricorders on display until I realized I was laughing at tricorders. Star Trek was not the only thing in the museum, of course. There were various Star Wars knick knacks, but they all looked like recent reproductions (I noted that Yoda looked much smaller in person). No doubt the really good Star Wars stuff has already been acquired by nerdy collectors.

Before exiting, I was treated to two more finds:
- Twiki, Buck Rogers' diminutive but shiny sidekick and
- Muffit, the robot-dog-like creature belonging to the son of Apollo on the original Battlestar Galactica!

I apologize that there are no photos of these treasures, but after all, I was in a museum and certainly didn't want my flash photography to degrade the archival quality of these one-of-a-kind items.

For $15 for both facilities, it was a decent Seattle afternoon. I'd recommend it to all those nerdy types who like making music and spacy stuff.

No comments: